The Archaeology of AoC

Gurnax
Guild Member
Main Name: Lenyn
Main Class: Dark Templar

The Archaeology of AoC

Post by Gurnax » 15 Nov 2012 01:28

Decided to start this thread about stuff that directly influenced or at least in some, but not insignificant way, inspired AoC.

We all know (at least some know it through loading screen messages if nothing else) about Robert E. Howard's novel The Hour of the Dragon that gave the most detailed description of places and events in the Hyborian age in the time when Conan was king. However small her role in AoC is, it was nice, at least for me, to meet Akivasha who directly links events from AoC to The Hour of the Dragon. It was also nice to meet Atali from Howard's story The Frost-Giant's Daughter. And, of course, all events in Khitai are at least in some way connected to what we can find in another Howard's story, The Tower of the Elephant. And at the very beginning of the game, we get to meet Black Ones from Howard's The Pool of the Black One, albeit with their pool not being as it was before.

Then, there is Conan and the Grim Gray God, a novel by Sean A. Moore, that was re-created in the game and incorporated into the destiny quest. Conan the Valorous by John Maddox Roberts introduces Hathor-Ka and Atzel. And the new expansion, the Dragon's Spine, is based on Conan the Rebel by Poul Anderson.

I'm just piling these infos up, and if someone can bring more literary influences and is willing to go more into details, I'd be happy to read it in sequels to this post.

For me, Conan first came to my attention through Frank Frazetta's ilustrations, then through Marvel comics, and then through the Schwarzenegger film, and Howard's and Sprague de Camp's stories, at about the same time. While playing AoC I got back some of the initial thrill I had when meeting this giant character and his world for the first time. Of course, this would not have been possible unless AoC itself didn't incorporate some of the elements that made the previous encounter so memorable. I guess that would be the purpose of this thread, to name and to show what AoC has, but what was successfully brought to life before in some other medium.

So I'll start this first post with bringing elements from some comics.

The Savage Sword of Conan, No. 4, February, 1975.

This image can be encountered on Isle of iron Statues, but also in Paikang on that little island inhabited by several monkeys:

King Conan No. 1, March, 1980.

Conan's son confronting tall, greyish Hyperboreans, lead by a witch. While they and the witch don't really look like those we know from Field of the Dead and Kylikki's Crypt, they are nevertheless their precursors.

King Conan No. 2, June, 1980.

Sphinx summoned by Thoth-Amon, that actually looks like a hyena:

King Conan No. 8, December, 1981.

Khitai:

King Conan No. 16, May, 1983.

Tarantia, fashioned in the pretty much same design as the one we know from AoC:

Conan the King, No. 21, March, 1984.

King Conan, while not in exactly the same armor that he wears in AoC, he still has this combination of blue and yellow, and also it's a similar shape:

Conan the King, No. 55, November, 1989.

Conan's son Conn in Khitai, dressed up in what pretty much resembles Brittle Blade faction barbarian sets:

From same issue, several pages later, Conn dressed up the same way as Conan from the 2011 film (social set we can buy in game):

Conan the Barbarian No. 259, August, 1992.

Episode titled: "The Mountain Where Crom Dwells", in which certain scholar, by ways of reading ancient manuscripts, invokes a tentacled monster - all elements found in HoC:

“Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.”
Groucho Marx

Alxir

Re: The Archaeology of AoC

Post by Alxir » 16 Nov 2012 21:01

is the GGG
GGG.jpeg
GGG.jpeg (76.1 KiB) Viewed 3128 times
.. looks a bit strange tho...

Junoa

Post by Junoa » 18 Nov 2012 13:57

I came accross Conan in the late 80's I was 9, my niece who lives in France brought some marvel comics and also some manga, I got hooked up Ialready knew some fantasy writers but I was too young to understand, she brought me and I still remember the justice league of America.

Then I watched the movie with my father and I was like holy crap that movie was awsome, my father gave me for my 10th birthday a book with Conan stories, that was the point to start reading the fantasy genre, in the family I am the only who does, well my daughter of 3 is already hooked up on comicbooks (lol).

Btw, you missed Tortage that when Conan became pirate, also the story when he killed yakhmar in his adventures in eglophian mountains

stage

Post by stage » 18 Nov 2012 15:53

how nice of you

now shadap and come back. and stop spam tl

Gurnax
Guild Member

Post by Gurnax » 19 Nov 2012 11:03

Alxir wrote:is the GGG
.. looks a bit strange tho...
Yeah, I suppose it was easier and also more in spirit of the times when that comic book was created to imagine GGG as some Nordic humanoid being then go for lovecraftian misshapen organic entity.

Junoa wrote: Then I watched the movie with my father and I was like holy crap that movie was awsome, my father gave me for my 10th birthday a book with Conan stories, that was the point to start reading the fantasy genre, in the family I am the only who does, well my daughter of 3 is already hooked up on comicbooks (lol).
Not a bit surprised to hear about your daughter liking fantasy comic books tbh ;)

I may get back to what you say about seeing the Scwarzenegger Conan movie for the first time with your father. I heard many people telling similar story, and I myself am also not an exception. It's kind of a "father movie" in some strange way, starting with father and son on a cloud covered mountain, father talking about the riddle of steel, and after that perishing in the blaze of glory.

Junoa wrote:Btw, you missed Tortage that when Conan became pirate, also the story when he killed yakhmar in his adventures in eglophian mountains
Don't know in which story or novel Tortage is mentioned. Ofc, Barachan Isles are mentioned in "Queen of the Black Coast", but don't remember Toratge ever been named there. Do you know? And I know Yakhmar is from The Lair of the Ice Worm novel by L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter, I forgot to mention it cause I was counting on, say, your intervention? If you got some more, keep it coming :)
Groucho Marx

Junoa

Post by Junoa » 19 Nov 2012 23:27

I recall seeing tortage but not sure I have to look for it, but I love how Sprague wrote about conan in the lair of the ice worm, first getting him laid then the girl dies hehe

Gurnax
Guild Member

Post by Gurnax » 02 Jan 2013 04:45

Crom's Rock as an homage to Star Trek

Crom's Rock, Lacheish Plains:

Vasquez Rocks, Los Angeles County, California, U.S.A.:

Captain Kirk in Star Trek episode "Arena", season 1, episode 18, 1967:

"Futurama", episode "Where No Fan Has Gone Before", season 4, episode 11, 2002:

Star Trek (2009) - copy-pasted Vasquez Rocks posing as Vulcan:
Groucho Marx

Gurnax
Guild Member

Post by Gurnax » 04 May 2013 16:03

Fort Bane... Bane... In Batman DC comics serial "Knightfall" (1992) character Bane (now widely known because of the 2012 Batman movie "The Dark Knight Rises") appears for the first time. And while growing up and becoming Bane, at one point he makes a mind-trip into, as the title says, "worlds undreamed of". Obvious reference that becomes even more obvious when we see the pictures in which Bane is portrayed as a long-haired muscle-man confronting mythical monsters (a bat-demon to be more precise)... Metonymy rules!

Groucho Marx